Monday, March 15, 2010

Just a snippet of thought on Jerry Maguire


It's one of the few Tom Cruise movies I can bring myself to watch (I deplored his peacock-like posturing in Top Gun and hated his self-serving travesty of a remake that was the first Mission: Impossible film. And the one reason I watch Jerry Maguire is because of its story, not the star, and its play on redemption. In the fast-moving world of sports giants and their agents, you harden your heart and play hard or you lose your one shot at fame and fortune. The titular character, played by Cruise, is one such sports agent who found himself laughed at and ostracized when he tried to bring back ethics, integrity, and all those forgotten values back.

In a world where the real person and the brand get intermixed and become almost inseparable, Jerry Maguire tries to find his soul. And that, at least for me, is what makes it most appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment